mold treatment

Mold Treatment

Have you spotted mold in your home? Mold can be troublesome. Mold infestations often run much deeper than is visible to the eye. Molds can cause structural damage. They can also be a serious threat to the health of your household. It is therefore important to deal with mold as soon as you spot them.

If you’re considering mold treatment, the following are some factors you should consider.

What to do:

When you spot mold in your home, the following are some things you should do:

  • Call a mold inspector

Get in touch with a professional mold inspection service. Mold infestations often run much deeper than what is visible on the surface. Mold may be present throughout the structure of your home but only appear on the surface in a single room. A professional inspection of your home will tell you how extensive the infestation is.

A professional inspection will also ensure that you understand what type of mold you’re dealing with and how best to get rid of it.

  • Call a mold remediation service

It is important not to attempt mold treatment on your own. Mold is resilient. Spores can remain dormant for a long time and reestablish an infestation much later on.

Professional mold remediation services ensure that molds are removed completely. A professional service will have the equipment and solutions necessary to get rid of mold for the long term.

  • Repair sources of moisture

Search for sources of moisture and have them repaired. This may mean having your foundation waterproofing looked at and repaired or your plumbing changed. Ensure that there are no leaks or wet surfaces in your home.

  • Invest in a dehumidifier

A dehumidifier will help to keep moisture levels down especially in spaces that aren’t well ventilated such as the basement. This will help to prevent mold from reestablishing an infestation.

What not to do:

  • Attempt mold treatment on your own

Don’t try to remove mold on your own. You will end up disturbing the mold, causing mold spores to disperse and only make matters worse. You also don’t have the equipment or special chemicals required to get rid of mold for good.

  • Cover affected areas with caulk or paint

You will only make the situation worse and provide the mold an even better environment in which to continue propagating.

  • Use bleach and other household cleaners to remove mold

These cleaners can kill mold. However, dead mold spores are still dangerous to your health. They will have to be removed completely.

Contact us today for more information!