mold remediation

Mold Remediation

When it comes to mold remediation, many homeowners believe that they can save a lot of money by getting rid of the mold on their own. That would be true if it could actually be accomplished. However, this usually isn’t the case. Mold infestation runs deeper than many people think. Many of the solutions DIY homeowners apply are usually only topical. They therefore do not deal with the real problem that lies beneath the surface.

One of the most common reactions when homeowners notice a mold infestation is to reach for bleach. Bleach can be an effective solution depending on the situation. It can help to kill mold. However, it still isn’t an effective method for mold remediation. Even worse, it can exacerbate the problem.

Why Bleach isn’t the Answer

  1. Loss of effectiveness

Chlorine bleach can be effective over the short term. However, this isn’t the case over time. In fact, the effectiveness of bleach is lost quite rapidly.

This occurs as a result of the chemical reactions that occur when bleach comes into contact with water. The chlorine evaporates after a few days. Chlorine is vital for the effectiveness of the bleach. Bleach is therefore not effective in getting rid of mold for the long term.

  1. Doesn’t penetrate surfaces

Bleach is an effective tool for killing mold growing on the surface. However, the major problem with mold is that the mycelium can penetrate porous surfaces and therefore thrive long after cleaning the surface. Bleach doesn’t penetrate porous materials to kill the mold growing within the material.

  1. It can contribute to the growth of mold

Because bleach cannot penetrate porous surfaces, it remains on the surface after cleaning while the roots of the mold continue to spread beneath the surface. The water component of the bleach however does penetrate through to where the roots are. This provides the mold with the water they need to continue growing. You’re feeding the mold instead of killing it.

  1. It’s toxic

Would you knowingly expose your family to toxins? Well, that is exactly what you’re doing by using bleach to kill mold. The use of bleaches results in the production of by-products such as dioxins. These have been linked to the development of cancers. Using bleach over extended periods of time means that these pollutants will build up in your home environment.

The best way to get rid of mold for good is to request the assistance of a professional mold remediation contractor.