Basement moisture problems are a common problem even with modern construction. The good news for homeowners is that there are various solutions available today for basement waterproofing.
Why many homeowners reach for that can of paint
Waterproof paint is widely available in the market today. Many people reach for a can of paint when they notice moisture problems in their home. It’s becoming one of the most popular waterproofing solutions and the reasons are obvious:
- It’s widely available. The paint cans are widely available in hardware stores. This makes it a convenient solution for homeowners who want a quick solution that is readily available.
- It’s easy to use. It is considered a DIY solution that homeowners can use to solve their seepage problems.
- It’s affordable. It’s much cheaper than many of the basement waterproofing solutions in the market.
- It’s effective in eliminating odors caused by fungi. It seals the odors on affected surfaces.
- It is effective sealing surfaces and therefore keeping moisture from penetrating to the surface of the wall.
More than meets the eye
If you’re a homeowner, you may consider waterproof paint your go-to solution for any time you notice a water seepage problem. However, you should consider the following before you reach for that can of paint.
- It’s not as easy to apply as many would like to believe
Do you think of the application of waterproofing paint as a DIY job? Most homeowners do. However, they quickly find out that this is not the case. The process for application of the paint is complex. There is also a lot of special equipment required for some of the steps.
- It will cause an increase in hydrostatic pressure
Applying waterproof paint creates a waterproof barrier on the surface of the wall that doesn’t allow water through to the surface of the wall. This in turn causes a build-up of hydro-static pressure on the outside surface of the wall. This increased pressure will most likely result in even further damage to the foundation.
- It’s just paint
Waterproof paint is limited in its ability to keep water out. It is likely to fail like any other paint eventually would if the underlying problem is not addressed.
Waterproofing paint isn’t the long term remedy you need to protect the investment you’ve made by purchasing your home. Hire an expert to solve your seepage problems for the long term.